"If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world."

-C.S. Lewis

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Exploration

There is nothing comparable to being in the woods on a beautiful spring day in Michigan. I cannot even begin to describe the strength and energy I absorb while being surrounded by our Great Mother.



It is my sanity.












Nature

O Nature! I do not aspire
To be the highest in thy choir, -
To be a meteor in thy sky,
Or comet that may range on high;
Only a zephyr that may blow
Among the reeds by the river low;
Give me thy most privy place
Where to run my airy race.

In some withdrawn, unpublic mead
Let me sigh upon a reed,
Or in the woods, with leafy din,
Whisper the still evening in:
Some still work give me to do, -
Only - be it near to you!

For I'd rather be thy child
And pupil, in the forest wild,
Than be the king of men elsewhere,
And most sovereign slave of care;
To have one moment of thy dawn,
Than share the city's year forlorn.

Henry David Thoreau


I am lucky enough to be surrounded by woods like these in my beautiful state. I took this photos just the other day while out with my little ones exploring. Please feel free to click on the photo to see all the amazing details up close. We need to take care of this great planet of ours, I fear areas like this may not be around for our grandchildren.

7 comments:

Corbin said...

Lovely pictures! It' about time to start looking for morels, isn't it?

Shannon said...

Mmmm. Morels, yes it is! Oh, how I love me some buttery fried morels.

In the Light of the Moon said...

You cant help but feel your place in this world when I look at the last photo of the trees.Magestic and mighty,they stand.Hugs-Cat

thehauntedstudiounderthestairs said...

Morals? Looking for morals?

Oh yea, very nice scenery. I like retiring into the woods to relax. Sometimes I go into the woods dressed like a bumpkin with big false teeth and sit by a hiking trail with a banjo. The hikers go by I smile and play a few chords of "Dueling Banjos" real slow.


k

Post said...

Now I miss Northern Minnesota \o/

Faerie♥Kat said...

How beautiful. Florida scrub land and swamp is quite nasty in comparison, and not nearly as green as one would think. Very bland. No emerald green moss in sight; plenty of gray Spanish moss instead, filled with ticks and spiders and snakes. I miss my Rhode Island woods and sea coast, and my Utah desert and mountains, where I knew all the flora and fauna, and wasn't afraid of it. How did I end up here, where I'm convinced the outdoors is out to kill me?!

Medieval Muse said...

I see we share another obsession for woodland walks - so great to find kindred spirits online.

Related Posts with Thumbnails